This Page

has been moved to new address

Fairfield Community Garden at the Barnett Center

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Simple Six: Fairfield Community Garden at the Barnett Center

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Fairfield Community Garden at the Barnett Center

Does this require a caption? Brent rode with us then went to work.

Our family has been out to help at the Fairfield Community Garden on Hal Greer a couple of times in the past.  One of those times was in July this year when I biked with the four children to enjoy dinner and some weed pulling while Brent was away in Elkins. I have always enjoyed my time there and wanted to do even more, so today Oliver and I did. We biked the brick paved 15th Street (partially a one way) to Charleston Avenue and then cut the wrong way up 14th. There were no cars going this route, which was more quiet, shadier and safer than taking Hal Greer. It was also only about two blocks out of our way. I should clarify that "out of our way" really doesn't apply, as we appreciate the shade, quiet and safety even more when we are on our bikes, making the two blocks a complete pleasure to endure.


View Larger Map
The patch after I unburied it. Note: I must remember to do those "before" pictures.
Eve, the master garden, guided us to a completely over grown strawberry patch and kept us company while we worked as she watered and weeded alongside. I was surprised by all the insects and produce and Eve was a great resources of information on the flowers versus weeds conundrum I found myself in several times. She was a huge resource for everything, but I especially needed help with weeds.

I learned that the last Friday of each month the Barnett Center has a healthy food pantry and they welcome your donations of produce or time. This is important information. I am over whelmed with green beans from our CSA and while I preserve and eat what I can, I will be dropping off a bag for others to enjoy. Maybe you have extra garden produce that you could spare and share? Stop by tomorrow morning before 11:30AM.




Ever bearing strawberries. I never imagined eating a ripe strawberry off the vine in late August.



ArtWorks mosaic mural from 2009. More information on ArtWorks can be found at the Huntington Museum of Art.

I also learned that egg plant grows on a large upright plant. I thought it grew on a vine like zucchini.


A SPIRAL herb garden. Serene and practical.

The garden is completely fenced in, making it great to bring our children. Oliver piddled about picking up rocks, throwing balls and plucking flowers. He played a bit in the water and helped us move weeds. Oliver and I only worked for about 90 minutes, but we ate a few strawberries, picked a pumpkin, took a few pictures and filled a wheel barrel heaping full of weeds.

Miles Walked: 9.2 Biked: 42.4 Bused: 0 Drove: 0 This week
33 98.4 10.5 3.6 Since August 14, 2011

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At August 25, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Blogger elma said...

Stacey, you Rock!

 
At August 25, 2011 at 1:02 PM , Anonymous Raine said...

The healthy food pantry rocks! I'll be there tomorrow helping out. And Eve rocks also!

 
At August 25, 2011 at 8:49 PM , Anonymous Ashley K. said...

The pic of Brent and Oliver is awesome! I have been to the community gardens there once, but have not made it back. I would love to take Etta next summer!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home