This Page

has been moved to new address

Oh My Aching Body

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Simple Six: Oh My Aching Body

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Oh My Aching Body

It used to be that my bum hurt, especially those sitz bones. My legs would ache, my hips would hurt. My heart would feel close to jumping from my chest and putting on a dramatic death scene. My lungs were squeezing every ounce of oxygen and trying to push it into my blood stream, and failing. This was rough business, riding a bike.

Riding, for me, is not a sport, or even a matter of getting anywhere fast. I stop often and look for excuses to stop. Stop signs are great, photo opportunities, patches of shade, the top of a teeny tiny climb. It's simply a mode of transportation that is less exhausting and painful than running, quicker than walking and cheaper than driving a car, or taking the bus. It's also getting easier.

I didn't say it was easy, just better than it was before. After our test ride to school this week I woke up with feet that felt bruised on the bottom. They don't feel any better yet. I suffered through plantar fasciitis when I started jogging a couple years ago. Foot pain is debilitating. About 2AM this morning I woke up because of sharp pain in my knees. I got out of bed simply because I was concerned I wouldn't be able to walk. They felt like they couldn't hold my weight, but I wasn't sure. As soon as I got up and walked the length of the house, they felt better and I slept the rest of the morning. I know it was because of yesterday's grocery trip, and my knees feel better today. After nearly every ride my legs feel a little numb because of the pressure on my hips. It's akin to the numbness of pregnancy, where the baby is crushing every nerve from your waist down. I wouldn't wish that on anyone either.

Part of the aches could be my bike. I am not experienced enough to know. Nor do I have the money to find out right now. Yet, the ounce of prevention rules is hard to ignore. We are looking for bikes to take on test rides. I emailed Madsen about finding a bike owner in our area. I am interested in Yuba Mundo and Xtracycle as well. If anyone has either a box style or long tail, and would like to let us give it a run up a hill with our children, we would be much appreciative.

In the mean time, I take it easy when I ride. Drink a lot of water. Get plenty of rest. Try to balance my riding with walking. Stretch as often as I can. It's still exhilarating to ride.

1 Comments:

At August 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

Yoga? Maybe your nerves/bones/muscles are out of wack from having babies and all the body changes. They probably just need to be gentally put back in their proper places. So I say Yoga.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home