This Page

has been moved to new address

Breakfasty bike date: Recycling, CSA & River and Rail Bakery

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Simple Six: Breakfasty bike date: Recycling, CSA & River and Rail Bakery

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Breakfasty bike date: Recycling, CSA & River and Rail Bakery


When we set out to reduce our driving I made a chart of the places we go and the alternate ways we could get there. One of our driving issues was the recycling drop off. We typically would take our items to the stream recycling bins in South Point, OH, which we would have to drive to. We then discovered a recycling bin on 6th Avenue downtown that was located in the parking lot were we pick up our CSA. During my reduced driving phase, I would take out recycling on Tuesdays and pick up my produce at the same time. When we decided to park the cars I signed up for curbside pick up but discovered the service did not accept glass or cardboard.
Running up to a porch requires someone to hold the bike steady with Oliver in it, or take him out.

Dropping off our cardboard and glass.

During the month of August we have been asking a friend and our share partner to pick up the CSA and we have been holding our glass and cardboard in the basement till I could muster the organization to get it to the bin on 6th. Today was the day. With the three older children in school I knew Oliver and I could take out recycling and pick up CSA using the iBert for Oliver and the trailer for all our cargo. Brent came along for company on his way to work so we turned the whole affair into a date.
Locking up at First Presbyterian for CSA pick up.
Lewis, the farmer who provides all the CSA produce, was bagging and unloading when we arrived. He said the heat shriveled his entire fall crop of cabbage (5000 plants) and cauliflower (2500)! We certainly thanked our farmers!

Heritage Station


Brent hauled his gear and the trailer and I took Oliver in the front seat carrier. This was a good use of our physical strengths and bike abilities. His bike is better suited to haul. Something I need desperately to fix, as I am the one who has more time for errands.

This morning was very chill and foggy. Fleece for Oliver and jeans for me. I think some of that fog seeped into my brain because a mile or so after we left home I realized I forgot my helmet.  I used Brent's and left his head unprotected (we joked it was because the life insurance was higher for him). Later we discovered I forgot to put the flag on the trailer when I converted it from stroller to trailer this morning. Some days are like that.

Recycling dropped off and the CSA picked up, we took advantage of our downtown location, reduced child accompaniment and smidgen of extra time Brent could spare, and headed to River and Rail Bakery at Heritage Station. Perfect breakfast date for us. Cinnamon roll for the boys, mocha for the parents, both shared unequally on the outdoor patio. Tonight River and Rail is hosting the CAFE dinner, something we won't attend this time, but wanted to let you all know about.
Inside River and Rail Bakery

A lending library







Brent got a hold of my camera.

More shops at Heritage Station

Riding home we came across the PATH mural project on 10th Street at the via-duct. A dozen volunteers were busy painting a scene to reflect the people of PATH in Huntington. I don't know how long folks will be painting, but they need more volunteers.
10th Street via-duct heading south. It was blocked to traffic, but we meandered through on our bikes to thank everyone and snap a few pictures.




Brent did accompany us home as well. He lugged Oliver and the produce back just so he could get his helmet and see us safely in. I am very happy he did. I love his company and that's what makes every time we spend together a great date.


Miles Walked: 2 Biked: 23.9 Bused: 0 Drove: 0 This week
39.7 136.8 12.6 399.9 Since August 14, 2011

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At August 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Hobson's Choice said...

My street is famous!!

 
At August 30, 2011 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Brent said...

Huntington is looking rather European in these pictures. It's so nice to see everyone taking ownership in its renaissance.

 
At August 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

We love riding your street! Very few cars, a lot of shade and loads of charm. It's also the best way to get to the bus.

 
At September 4, 2011 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Stephanie Appleton said...

Where is there a recycling drop off on 6th? We've been looking for something closer!

 
At September 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

It's in the rear east side of the First Presbyterian Church lot, nearest to 11th St and 6th Avenue. It's the perfect location for us. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and spread the word, maybe Huntington will get more! Additionally there is one in the ReStore parking lot. Thank you for reading!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home