This Page

has been moved to new address

Our Vehicle History: Brent

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Simple Six: Our Vehicle History: Brent

Friday, August 26, 2011

Our Vehicle History: Brent

Part 1, my car history is back here. Part 3, our history together will be out soon. And this, Part 2, is probably a poor account of what Brent told me, but he won't write it himself. Something to do with that full time job he has and all those extra accounts he works on. I just don't understand what he means when he says "I don't have the time."

Mean while I am spending all his money. I paid for the bike he bought (with the credit card) several weeks ago , bought two plane tickets to Phoenix to my sister's wedding and still have money put back for school tuition that is coming due. The tuition and the bike were from the extra income he has been earning, but the trip is all because of the savings from not driving our cars this month. No gas, no car payment (because we paid it off with other extra income Brent earned this summer), and reduced car insurance=$600 for two plane tickets, one for me, one for my other sister (who's celebrating her golden birthday today). I can't wait to surprise both of my siblings with the news that we will all be together for a wedding.

Back to Brent
During his early teen years Brent biked around his hometown of Ravenswood, WV. He likes to tell a story of working at tomato farm in Ohio, just over the river. He would get up early and bike over the bridge in all conditions to earn his piddly wages. Once he fell asleep while riding. I still can't imagine how this is possible, but he and his mother swear it's true. To make the story more dramatic, he was riding over the bridge when it happened.

At the age of seventeen he got his first set of wheels, a Chevette. He recalls driving it everywhere, ditching the bike, as it was no longer cool and going through a series of vehicles till he moved to Parkersburg, WV. He lived without a car for about a year and half, walking and carpooling with his girlfriend, co workers, neighbors, etc. He then moved to Columbus, OH, again without a vehicle. He choose an apartment blocks from work and a nieghborhood with a high walk score* (should he have checked back in the '90s).

He had a client at work in Columbus who owned a used car lot and  Brent was persuaded to buy an Eagle Talon. He was driving this car when I met him in 2001 and it was this car that was hit on May 23 of that year and deemed a total loss by the insurance company. Thus beginning our car story together.

*For comparison, the Huntingon, WV zip code, 25701 has a walk score of ZERO. Our actual home address here in town has a score of 54/100. What is your walk score?


Labels:

5 Comments:

At August 26, 2011 at 10:34 PM , Anonymous Jamie O. said...

Fell asleep while riding?! He must have good balance. :)

Curious about the walk score, I clicked the link and found Terre Haute has a score of 77. I was surprised at first, but Huntington overall has a walk score of 97. Back to IN, our address has a score of 5. (Figured that - we bought a house with a large yard and woods but no nearby amenities). On the other hand, we're only 15 minutes from downtown with lots of amenities, and we probably drive the car fewer miles overall than when we lived in B'ville. (Walk score of 65, but I noticed they didn't list any of the 3 parks I know of there, which makes me wonder how accurate their data is.) Interesting link!

 
At August 27, 2011 at 7:36 AM , Blogger Stacy said...

I am not sure about accuracy either, but it's a starting point to gauge. The Huntington, WV search does turn up a score of 97, but if you notice the addresses it uses (448-498 8th Street Rd Huntington) that is a very walkable neighborhood (without any schools, grocer or family housing?). It was searching by zipcode 25701 that I came up with a zero, although our specific house was better.

The service does give you the option to add places making their data more accurate. Maybe you would consider adding those parks?

 
At August 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM , Anonymous Ashley K. said...

The walk score for my address is 28, but no suprise there since I live at the top of a hill!

I checked the address where I grew up and it was only a 43 which I thought was odd because even though a lot of amenities are a half mile or more away, the entire town is flat and very easy to bike or walk.

 
At August 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Anonymous Ashley K. said...

I like the commute converter. It would take me more than 7 hours for me to walk to work! It also shows the hills on the route. Very neat!

 
At August 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

I use Google Maps conversion from driving, to biking, to walking. The public transit option doesn't work yet in Huntington. I will have to check out the grades on the walkscore site. I am always fascinated with how steep of a hill we are climbing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home