This Page

has been moved to new address

Old Central City: The Velvet Owl and Farmers Market

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Simple Six: Old Central City: The Velvet Owl and Farmers Market

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Old Central City: The Velvet Owl and Farmers Market

The Velvet Owl, 705 W. 14th Street, Huntington, WV (Old Central City)

View Larger Map

My sister's wedding is in Phoenix on Friday and I own a couple things I could wear and probably should. An opportunity to dress up doesn't happen very often (for me) and having something in my closet worthy of an evening wedding was worth the trip to Old Central City this morning. Oliver and I rode the PATH from Ritter Park to West 14th Street. It always feels farther when I think about it, but it was only 3.5 miles from home.







Our destination was The Velvet Owl. This shop was a smart blend of vintage and modern. Textures and arrangements made it feel wonderfully comfortable, warm and nostalgically unique. I must have tried on every dress in the shop that was remotely close to fitting. The owner stocks consignment resale clothing and furnishings as well as vintage and antique. I found a dozen things I would have loved to have piled into the trailer, but today's mission was wedding clothes, and that is all I walked out with.

Old Central City, W. 14th Street


Duncan Lumber, also on W 14th is a mill and lumber company, that is still open for business. I predict I will live in a building like this some day. It has always been something I imagine.

Old Central City is certainly mending from ages of disrepair. It has held onto the charm of a strolling downtown district, unique shops, farmers market, antique stores, and restaurants. The area has incorporated barn quilts on the sides of many of the old buildings and there's a large gazebo (popular with music venues) in their small park across from the market.

The Bodimer's are at the market Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Check out those great prices.

Since we had biked all this way, Oliver and I stopped in at the Central City Market. We found Lewis Bodimer with his truck stocked. He's the farmer that grows all our CSA produce. We spent a fair amount just chatting with him and the folks who live across the way who have been volunteering their time to help Lewis at the market for 14 years. We didn't purchase any produce, but Lewis handed us a bag of sweet corn for dinner tonight. The children will be thrilled.

I moved Oliver to the trail half way home so he could nap comfortably. The PATH is lined with unique foot bridges over Four Pole Creek.

I have been to Old Central City before to rummage through the antique stores for pirate chests. What great discoveries have you made on the west end of Huntington?


Miles Walked: 2 Biked: 32.5 Bused: 0 Drove: 13 This week
53.7 271.3 12.6 450.2 Since August 14, 2011

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At September 13, 2011 at 1:50 PM , Blogger my3littlebirds said...

I've never heard of this delightful shop...thanks!
Kara (of June&Bear just posted about a gossip bench she found at Hattie and Nan's : http://juneandbear.blogspot.com/2011/09/gossip-bench-pretty-in-pink.html
and the bottle in this post came from one of the 14th St West shops as well: http://my3littlebirdsblog.com/2011/07/1013.html
(not a great photo unfortunately).

 
At September 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Hobson's Choice said...

But what are you wearing to the wedding? Or will we see that in a later post?

 
At September 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Stacy said...

ML--"not a great photo" is my tagline. How can you take great pictures with children dangling off your arms and legs and sun glaring in your eyes...I just go with it :) I will check out Kara's blog soon, thanks! There should be a Huntington blogger convention (hint...)

JH--Yes, for a wedding post, as I didn't want to spoil the surprise for Sara. She's in awe that I actually deemed her worthy of going shopping.

 
At September 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM , Anonymous Cara said...

I found a vintage chaise that traveled with me through college at Hattie and Nan's (my favorite OCC shop). I also found a really cute set of salt and pepper shakers, that are blue and green blown glass light bulbs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home